Annie Tillman, a seasoned travel writer, hails from the charming city of Savannah, Georgia. Possessing an in-depth understanding of Savannah's history and culture, she uses her local insights to offer insightful guides and recommendations. She takes pride in exposing Savannah's lesser-known treasures and assists travelers in embracing the city like a local.
- Savannah, GA is a city of Southern charm and history, with diverse architecture and enchanting landscapes.
- Top attractions in Savannah include Forsyth Park, River Street, and the Savannah Historic District.
- Savannah offers a vibrant restaurant scene with a variety of cuisines to satisfy every taste bud.
- Nearby beaches like Tybee Island provide a refreshing escape from the city.
Discover Savannah, GA: A City of Southern Charm and History
Welcome to the enchanting city of Savannah, where history and charm merge, creating a captivating tapestry of Southern living.
With its roots steeped in history, Savannah is a city that tells a tale of time through its distinct architecture, from the antebellum mansions gracing the historic district to the modern high-rises dotting the skyline.
Imagine waking up to the sun-dappled moss-draped oaks of Forsyth Park, strolling through the cobblestone streets lined with quaint boutiques, and ending the day with a mesmerizing sunset at one of the serene Savannah, GA beaches.
So, are you ready to embark on your Savannah adventure?
Unleashing Fun in Savannah: Top Activities & Attractions
Immerse yourself in the enchanting world of Savannah, where every corner whispers stories of the past, and every street is a gateway to a new adventure. From the cobblestone paths of the historic district to the lush greenery of Forsyth Park, Savannah, ga, living is a seamless blend of history, nature, and modernity.
Marvel at the architectural grandeur, soak in the vibrant arts scene, or stroll along the picturesque River Street. With many activities, you will never run out of the best things to do in Savannah.
And the city comes alive with a buzzing nightlife when the sun sets. From live music to ghost tours, the nightlife in Savannah is as diverse as it is exciting. So, are you ready to dive into the heart of Georgia and experience the magic of Savannah?
Top 10 Must-Visit Attractions in Savannah
- Forsyth Park: This 30-acre park is the heart of Savannah and is known for its iconic fountain, lush landscapes, and various outdoor activities.
- River Street: A cobblestone street along the Savannah River, offering many shops, restaurants, and pubs. Don't forget to enjoy the beautiful river views!
- Savannah Historic District: Step back in time as you explore the city's rich history, stunning architecture, and charming squares in this district.
- Savannah's City Market: A lively four-block area featuring dining, shopping, art, and entertainment. It's the perfect place to immerse yourself in Savannah's vibrant culture.
- Cathedral of St. John the Baptist: A stunning architectural marvel that is one of the city's most iconic symbols. The cathedral's breathtaking interior is a must-see.
- Bonaventure Cemetery: This cemetery is a serene and historic place known for its beautiful sculptures and notable burials.
- Telfair Museums: Comprising three sites - the Telfair Academy, the Owens-Thomas House & Slave Quarters, and the Jepson Center, these museums offer a deep dive into art, history, and architecture.
- Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD): Visit the SCAD Museum of Art or shop for unique, student-made goods at the SCAD store.
- Wormsloe Historic Site: Home to the oldest standing structure in Savannah, this site offers a picturesque avenue lined with live oaks and Spanish moss.
- Juliette Gordon Low Birthplace: Explore the birthplace of the founder of Girl Scouts of the USA, a place that celebrates her remarkable life and legacy.
Now that you've learned about the top attractions in Savannah, let's take a visual tour. Here's a map to help you get a better understanding of their locations.
Now that you have an idea of where these attractions are located, let's move on to discover some of the best places to dine in Savannah.
Savannah's Food Scene: Where to Satisfy Your Culinary Cravings
From Southern comfort food to international cuisine, Savannah's vibrant restaurant scene is a gastronomic paradise where every meal is an adventure.
Picture yourself dining al fresco in the heart of the Savannah Historic District, savoring delectable dishes as you soak in the city's rich history.
Or perhaps you'd prefer a romantic riverside dinner, with the setting sun painting the sky as you feast on fresh, local seafood?
With an array of eateries that range from upscale establishments to charming cafes, there's a culinary delight for every palate. And the best part? Savannah's food scene is as diverse as the city itself, reflecting its multicultural heritage and the creativity of its residents.
So, Savannah's got you covered whether you're a foodie looking for the next big thing or simply craving some good old Southern barbecue.
Ready to embark on a culinary journey? Let's explore some of the best places to dine in Savannah!
Top 5 Must-Visit Restaurants in Savannah
- The Grey: Housed in a restored 1938 art deco Greyhound Bus Terminal, The Grey offers a unique dining experience. The menu, a fusion of Southern and European cuisine, changes seasonally, ensuring fresh and innovative dishes.
- Mrs. Wilkes' Dining Room: For a taste of traditional Southern cooking, head to Mrs. Wilkes' Dining Room. This family-style restaurant serves classics like fried chicken, collard greens, and sweet potato souffle. Don't forget to try their famous peach cobbler!
- Elizabeth on 37th: Nestled in a charming 1900s mansion, Elizabeth on 37th offers a fine dining experience focusing on local seafood and produce. The award-winning wine list and the stunning garden setting make it a perfect choice for a special occasion.
- Green Truck Pub: If you're craving a gourmet burger, look no further than Green Truck Pub. Known for their farm-to-table approach, they serve juicy, creative burgers and hand-cut fries. Their vegetarian options are equally impressive.
- Husk Savannah: Part of the renowned Husk restaurant chain, Husk Savannah celebrates Southern ingredients with a modern twist. The menu changes daily, reflecting the availability of local produce and seafood. The beautifully restored building adds to the overall dining experience.
Now that we've covered some of the best restaurants to dine in Savannah, let's take a look at a local food critic's review of his favorite spots in the city.
After getting a taste of Savannah's culinary scene, let's shift our focus to the beautiful beaches near the city.
Sun, Sand, and Surf: Savannah's Nearby Beaches
Just a short drive from the heart of Savannah, you'll find miles of beautiful beaches that serve as the perfect escape from the city. Tybee Island, the most popular, is a paradise for sunbathers, surfers, and nature lovers alike. Its iconic lighthouse offers a panoramic view of the Atlantic that's simply mesmerizing.
Meanwhile, Little Tybee Island, an undeveloped nature preserve, is ideal for those seeking tranquility and reconnecting with nature. You can kayak through the marshes, spot rare birds, or enjoy the untouched beauty here.
Who said Savannah, GA, living was about the historic district and Forsyth Park?
And if you're a fan of fishing, the Savannah River Beach should be on your list. Its calm waters are home to various fish species, making it a local favorite. So, are you ready to switch your office view to a beach one?
One of the most popular beaches near Savannah is Tybee Island. This picturesque coastal spot offers a change of pace from the city's hustle and bustle. Here's a glimpse of the beach experience through the eyes of a recent visitor.
The views at Tybee Island are simply breathtaking, aren't they? After a day at the beach, you might want to find a comfortable resting place. If you're traveling with your furry friends, you'd be glad Savannah is home to several pet-friendly accommodations.
Traveling with Furry Friends? Check out Savannah's Pet-friendly Stays
Have you ever dreamed of a vacation where your four-legged friends can join the fun?
In Savannah, that dream becomes a reality! Our city is teeming with pet-friendly accommodations beyond simply allowing pets - they welcome them with open arms. From luxury resorts offering pet pampering services to cozy inns with dog-friendly rooms, Savannah caters to all kinds of pet parents. Discover the top resorts that ensure you and your furry friends have a memorable stay.
Imagine strolling through the picturesque Savannah River Walk with your canine companion or watching your feline friend bask in the warmth of the Savannah sun. The city's pet-friendly ethos extends to its attractions, too, making Savannah, GA, living a joy for pet owners. And with many activities to enjoy, you and your pets will have plenty to explore!
Top 5 Pet-Friendly Hotels in Savannah Based on Visitor Reviews
- The Alida Hotel: Located in the historic district's heart, The Alida welcomes pets with open arms. With spacious rooms and a dedicated pet-friendly service, your furry friends will feel right at home.
- Andaz Savannah: This stylish boutique hotel offers pet-friendly rooms and a fantastic location just a short walk from the city's most popular attractions. Pets are treated to a comfortable stay with pet beds and bowls provided.
- The Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa: This resort offers stunning views of the Savannah River and has a pet-friendly policy. With plenty of green spaces, it's perfect for your daily walks.
- Perry Lane Hotel: This luxurious hotel in the heart of Savannah offers a unique pet program, ensuring your pet enjoys their stay as much as you do. They even provide a pet concierge service to cater to your pet's every need.
- The Kimpton Brice Hotel: Known for its chic interior and welcoming atmosphere, The Kimpton Brice Hotel offers pet-friendly rooms at no extra charge. They even provide pet amenities like beds, bowls, and treats to make your pet's stay comfortable.
Life in Savannah: Job Opportunities and Quality of Living
There's a certain charm to Savannah, GA, living that's hard to put into words. Is it the lush canopy of live oaks in Forsyth Park, the captivating stories etched into the brick and cobblestone of the Savannah Historic District, or the friendly smiles that greet you on every corner?
While the city's aesthetic might draw you in, the thriving community and many Savannah job opportunities make you stay. From bustling tech startups to established corporations, Savannah is a city that welcomes dreamers and doers alike. Want to know more about the job market? Check out our detailed guide on Living the Savannah Dream.
And let's not forget the leisurely side of life here. There's never a dull moment in this city between the Savannah, GA beaches, the vibrant dining scene, and the best things to do in Savannah. So, are you ready to fall in love with Savannah?
Comparing Cost of Living: Savannah vs National Average
Would you consider moving to Savannah?
After learning about the charming city of Savannah, its cost of living, attractions, and dining scene, would you consider making a move to this historic city?
What's the Weather Like? Savannah's Climate Decoded
Renowned for its lush greenery and mild climate, Savannah is a city that enjoys all four seasons in their most gracious forms. Savannah, GA, weather updates reveal a warm, subtropical climate tempered by ocean breezes, making it an ideal destination year-round.
Embrace Savannah, GA living
However, the best time to visit to embrace Savannah, GA, and live fully is arguably during the spring and fall, when the weather is most comfortable and the city's beauty is in full bloom.
Spring is perfect for strolling through Forsyth Park Savannah, adorned with blooming azaleas, while fall offers a stunning palette of colors in the Savannah Historic District.
Are you looking for a summer escape?
The Savannah, GA beaches, notably Tybee Island, offer a refreshing retreat. But don't let winter dissuade you - the city's mild winters make it a charming destination for a cozy holiday getaway.
Ready to explore more about the Savannah lifestyle?
Average Weather Conditions in Savannah by Month
Savannah's climate is a significant factor that adds to its charm. To help you plan your visit or move, here's a table showing Savannah's average monthly Temperature, rainfall, and humidity.
|Month||Average Temperature (°F)||Average Rainfall (inches)||Average Humidity (%)|
Now that you know about the weather, why not test your knowledge about Savannah? Take our interactive quiz about Savannah's history and attractions next!
Savannah's History and Attractions Quiz
Test your knowledge about the charming city of Savannah, its history, and attractions.
Ready for Savannah? Let's Get Your Trip Planned!
So, you're ready to experience the magic of Savannah, eh?
To roam the lush aisles of Forsyth Park, feel the coastal breeze on the Savannah, GA beaches, and be part of the vibrant Savannah job opportunities.
But remember, an adventure in Savannah isn't a mere visit—it's a love affair with history, culture, and southern charm.
From the cobblestone alleys of the Savannah Historic District to the sizzling culinary scenes, there are indeed countless best things to do in Savannah.
As you plan, leave room for the unexpected—the serendipitous moments that make travel truly exciting.
Don't just visit, live in Savannah! Stay updated with the latest Savannah, GA, weather updates to make your trip smooth.
And remember, whether you're a wandering tourist or a potential resident, Savannah isn't just a destination—it's a feeling, a lifestyle, a home. Prepare to lose your heart to the allure of Savannah living.