Benjamin Sawyer is a retired history professor and lifelong Savannah resident. He brings his academic expertise and personal love for history to his articles, providing readers with a deep dive into Savannah's rich past. Whether it's about historic landmarks or lesser-known historic sites, Benjamin's articles are a history lover's dream.
As a lifelong resident of Savannah, Georgia, I'm thrilled to share with you the must-see sights for your visit to our beautiful city!
Savannah is known for its rich history, stunning architecture, and vibrant culture. Whether you're a history buff, a nature lover, or a food enthusiast, there's something for everyone here. Let's dive into the must-see sights that will make your trip to Savannah unforgettable!
1. The Historic District: Start your journey in the heart of Savannah, the Historic District. This area is a treasure trove of beautifully preserved 18th and 19th-century buildings, charming squares, and cobblestone streets. Take a leisurely stroll and admire the stunning architecture, including the iconic Mercer House and the Owens-Thomas House. Don't forget to visit Chippewa Square, made famous by the movie "Forrest Gump."
2. Forsyth Park: Located in the Historic District, Forsyth Park is a true oasis in the city. This 30-acre park is known for its iconic fountain, Spanish moss-draped oak trees, and lush green spaces. Take a picnic, enjoy a leisurely walk, or simply relax and soak in the serene atmosphere. If you're lucky, you might catch a concert or a local event happening in the park.
3. River Street: No visit to Savannah is complete without a stroll along River Street. This bustling waterfront area is lined with charming shops, restaurants, and art galleries housed in historic cotton warehouses. Take in the breathtaking views of the Savannah River, watch the ships go by, and indulge in some delicious Southern cuisine. Don't forget to try the famous pralines!
4. Bonaventure Cemetery: For a unique and hauntingly beautiful experience, visit Bonaventure Cemetery. This historic cemetery is known for its stunning sculptures, intricate tombstones, and picturesque setting. Take a guided tour or explore on your own to discover the final resting place of notable figures and enjoy the peaceful ambiance.
5. City Market: Immerse yourself in Savannah's vibrant culture at City Market. This lively four-block area is filled with art galleries, boutiques, restaurants, and live music. Enjoy a meal at one of the many restaurants offering Southern specialties, shop for unique souvenirs, or simply soak in the lively atmosphere.
6. The Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD): If you're interested in art and design, a visit to SCAD is a must. This renowned art school has transformed historic buildings throughout the city into stunning galleries and museums. Explore the SCAD Museum of Art or take a self-guided tour to admire the impressive artwork and innovative installations.
These are just a few of the must-see sights in Savannah, but there is so much more to discover! From the beautiful squares to the haunted history tours, Savannah offers a unique and unforgettable experience for every visitor. So, pack your bags, come explore our charming city, and create memories that will last a lifetime!